Tip of the Week #91 – Savvy Business Traveling
Sales Manager John Mullins brings us a tip this week, on ways to avoid the common stressors associated with frequent business trips.
Americans alone took a whopping 459 million business trips in 2015. On average, 78 percent of people travel more than 400 miles for each work event. Business travel is necessary but can sometimes be stressful. Make sure you travel in comfort with this list of must-have technology, and some tips on getting from A to B without going crazy.
- Choose the proper seat with travel apps: Choose your airline seat as soon as possible (and check back frequently to ensure it hasn’t changed). If a good seat isn’t immediately available, don’t fret. Seat alert apps, such as the TripIt® Seat Tracker or ExpertFlyer®, will alert travelers (for a fee) if a desirable seat becomes available. If all else fails, seat-swapping apps like SeaterooSM allow travelers to pay to switch seats.
- TSA—the worst first impression: Avoiding checked baggage can save anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Keep your travel gear organized, easily accessible and carry-on approved with a checkpoint friendly backpack. The dedicated compartments for a smartphone, tablet or e-reader, power bank and laptop ensure everything is available and within reach. Plus, it is TSA approved! If checking a bag is non-negotiable, travel with a digital luggage scale. Knowing what a bag weighs ahead of time will save time and money at check in.
- Keep technology running with a power bank: Nothing puts a wrinkle in business travel plans like an extended layover or bump—especially if their smartphone battery is dangerously close to powering down. A power bank ensures you can charge devices anytime, anywhere. Some models with dual ports can simultaneously charge a phone and tablet.
- Block out the chatter: Noise cancelling headphones are a must for business travel. Paired with a movie, music or white noise app, you’ll forget all about the cramped, noisy accommodations in coach. Plus, the padded ear cup ensures ultimate comfort.
- Waterproof devices: Making sure you’re always in touch, even if they’re unwinding by the pool after work. A waterproof phone or tablet pouch will help you keep devices close. Not only does it keep items safe from water, the clear wrap allows them to use the touch screen without removing the device from the pouch.
- Knowing the tricks in the airport: While it isn’t a tech tip, most airports have vending machines that sell water or soda or snacks for a fraction of the cost in the gift shops that line the hallways. Seeing out the machine and paying $1 dollar for a water instead of $3 or $4 dollars may seem small but it will add up over time.
- Car Chargers: Most rental cars can easily take a USB but some cords seem to be “not supported” (I learned this the hard way and had to buy a $15 piece of plastic car adapter to keep my phone alive since I needed the map). We business travelers need to make sure we have the cords to charge in a variety of places so we’re not left without a GPS or ability to see where we need to go.
Enjoy the trips, see some parts of the world that you might not otherwise get to – and try to stay sane with so many nights away from home!
Thank you John!
Are you fed up with running multiple software programs to manage your print business? Give John a shout and he’ll tell you all about PrintVis, the exclusive, Microsoft-certified MIS for the print industry vertical, directly embedded in Microsoft Dynamics NAV, the world-renowned ERP system for mid-market businesses.
PrintVis handles all the daily tasks of any print business: Estimating, production planning, purchasing and inventory management, shop floor data collection, bookkeeping and more. PrintVis offers a complete, flexible business solution from Microsoft to the printing industry – both on premises and in the cloud. Our emphasis on standardization lets you dramatically reduce the burdens of IT staffing, compatibility and communication problems.
PrintVis is on a mission to improve your business – with a solution you will never outgrow!